2.16.2011

I, Robot Was Right. Robots/Computers Are Going To Take Over The World

When I was in college, my roommates and I watched Jeopardy! on a very consistent basis. Monday-Thursday and sometimes even on Friday, depending on whether or not we were drunk. We did this for 4 years. So no, I was not the coolest kid on campus, but I was pretty damn close. I bring this up because as of February 14, Jeopardy! has been showing us a very unique 3-day challenge. Two of the greatest champions on the show's history were set to take part against the computer, Watson, in a match of wits and intelligence. Right off the bat, if I were to take on Google, I would get destroyed. So essentially, what would be different about this?

Well, the people at IBM had to make this supercomputer akin to human language, so that it could decipher the questions and give a reasonable response. The problem is computers seem to know every fucking answer to every question ever asked. It was unsettling to watch a computer dominate two human beings. Almost as if Watson pulled down both contestant's pants and started raping them without the KY Jelly. It's just not fair. Whereas humans need like, a second or two to think, a computer immediately buzzes in because it doesn't have to think. Really, the contestants had no chance from the beginning.

And yes, I know the competition isn't over until tomorrow, but do you really think a human is going to take down that giant? I believe not. And couldn't a more modern company be responsible for the creation of the computer? All those liberal assholes who have Apples, why couldn't they create this mega-brain computer? Huh, Mr. Steve Jobs? You make all these cool ass gadgets like the iPhone, and the iPad, and iPods but when it comes to making a computer that is smarter than humans, you're nowhere in sight. How can that be? Really? IBM?

So Will Smith was on to something when he agreed to tackle the film adaptation of the story I, Robot. Robots or computers, whatever you wish to call them, start to have their own ideas of what is right and wrong. And then they kill humans and try to take over the world. I think that's what IBM is trying to do right now. They want to create computers that are smarter than humans so that the computers (IBM) can take over the world.
I don't know about you, but I sure as hell don't want to be around when computers and robots are telling me what to do. It's going to be a sad time for the U.S. of A. and the rest of the world and it's all because we wanted to see if a computer could beat humans in a game of Jeopardy! How selfish we are. So come 2030 or whenever the planet is going to be overtaken by robots, I'll be the one to tell you I told you so. And it's all because "I am better than you."




No comments:

Post a Comment