4.10.2011

The Top 10 Greatest Songs Of The 90s. And By 90s I Mostly Mean 1996-1999. (Part 1)

I really like 90s music. It's as if I'm living in the past and I can't get unstuck. So I sit in my room and listen to my iTunes. And when I'm not listening to that I put on Pandora. By the way, Pandora really sucks dick now. They have commercials for soap.com literally every other song. I don't want to hear about code soap guy anymore. It ruined the integrity of the website. But back to business. Anyone who has the ability to listen to music should know that the 90s provided some of the best music ever recorded in the history of the Earth. Bands like Nirvana, Third Eye Blind, and The Backstreet Boys dominated the airwaves. So I give you the honor of reading the Top 10 Greatest Songs of the 90s. And by 90s I mean mostly from 1996-1999.

10. Duncan Sheik - "Barely Breathing"

First of all, what is a Duncan Sheik? I know it isn't his name because noone would allow their child to go through that daily living hell. However, this song is one of my personal favorites. Lyrically, it's fascinating, relaying the pains of an ended relationship. Marvelous Duncan. The guitar tickles my eardrums and his voice is like a virgin goddess. It's a real shame that he decided to quit making popular music and start a Tony-award winning career on Broadway. Heard of Spring Awakening? Me neither.

9. Paula Cole - "I Don't Want To Wait"

If the first thing you think of isn't Dawson's Creek, you are totally full of shit and an asshole. This song represents the greatest drama produced for teenagers and young adults for the year ending 1998. Katie Holmes in her prime and a dieseled James Van Der Beek. Beautiful. I'm also pretty confident that Ms. Cole and her hairy armpits won a Grammy for this love ballad. And in all honesty, if it wasn't the theme song for the aforementioned cult classic drama, I wouldn't have included it in this list. But today you get a reprieve Paula. You're welcome.

8. Sugar Ray - "Fly"

Perhaps a guilty pleasure to like Sugar Ray. Or perhaps it's the ability to hear what good music sounds like. Mark McGrath probably got more than a handful of girls and guys to drop their panties in the late 90s. The music was so generic and bland that it had mass appeal. There was nothing special about Sugar Ray. McGrath has a shitty voice, but it all came together for everyone's enjoyment. Plus, how could you not like a former host of Entertainment Tonight and currently, Don't Forget the Lyrics!

7. Ricky Martin - "Livin' La Vida Loca"

It's not possible to bypass Ricky Martin on this list. This song made it socially acceptable to enjoy listening to Latin music again. It was previously banned after the whole Selena incident and movie that Jennifer Lopez ruined. But thanks to Ricky Martin, "Upside inside out. She's livin la vida loca." I don't know what the fuck that means, but it doesn't take away from blowing my mind. And did you see those sweet leather pants/assless chaps he's wearing? Incredible to have so much audacity. I'm also not surprised that he is a homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that.

6. Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Under The Bridge"

So I included one song not from the Golden Age of music. But that's ok, this song rocks my socks. Any time you can open up to the masses about something that's really sensitive and personal, I have to give my respects. True story, it's said that Anthony Kiedis wrote this song in his journal as a poem only to be discovered by his agent. His agent in turn asked him to write music to it because it was a sure-fire hit. Hesitant at first, he finally obliged and well as they say, the rest is history. He's not the first person to suffer from drug addiction, and certainly he won't be the last. But to tell everyone and their mother about it, I'm impressed. You win 6th place.

(To be continued tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment