4.17.2011

Are You Done Being A Pompous Asshole Yet? No One Likes You

Spending a weekend with friends can do a whole bunch for you. It allows you the opportunity to get drunk, smoke weed, have sex, or other typical things that 23-year-olds do. Unfortunately, there's always a stickler that ruins everyone's fun. Or maybe a few. At times like these, you do your best to ignore the "sour apple" and surge ahead for what should be an unforgettable weekend. And this weekend, I had just that. An unforgettable one. But this time for all the wrong reasons. Let me divulge shit that has bothered me for the past 48 hours.


I have two pretty good friends, at least I think we're good friends, who like to take pictures. One of them is pretty much a professional at this point, doing some freelance work. And she's pretty fucking good. I'm not saying it because she's a friend, but because I actually think she's good at what she does. And I know for a fact that she will make a career out of it because she has a passion for it. She'll make it not only because her work is pretty great, she'll make it because she wants to. Bad. As for my other friend, he isn't a professional, nor do his pictures show that he is. But he likes taking pictures and who am I to knock him for it. (Even though we did) If it weren't for either of them, maybe more of my senior year would have been forgotten by now.

Here are their links respectively:

And this leads me to one of my problems. Mr. Stickler, just because you bought a camera for $575 on eBay doesn't make you a photographer. No one cares about the price or your lens. Do not judge my friend's photography on the notion that it's hard to be good at it. Some people have a knack for art and can succeed doing it. She's already had several jobs that paid her for her work. She is in fact better than you. Accept it.

I also don't give a flying fuck about how much money you make at work, how much you spend on rent each month, how many girls or guys you've slept with, what kinds of drugs you've used, what it costs at bars each night, and many more. I do not care. Let me reiterate. I do not care. And don't get mad when someone we know makes more money than you out of college. It happens. It's called hard work and intelligence. Jealousy does in fact take many forms.

(Sick bro!)

Studying abroad is a privilege. Having the money to go on vacation is also one. I was the product of divorced parents with very little extra income that could be spent on family vacations. I was happy with the way I was raised. I didn't need the luxury of going to Hong Kong, Columbia, or the Dominican Republic for happiness. Of course I'd love to have the option, but I didn't, and as of right now I still don't. So no, you are not better than me for having seen parts of the world that I haven't. I don't need to be reminded of my financial shortcomings. So shut your mouth.

And yes, I have put on some weight. I don't need to be told that I'm growing a double chin. I'm 5'11'' and I weigh 170 lbs. By no means whatsoever am I overweight. I don't have insecurities that I need to point out to people to make myself feel better. I feel great the way I am. I don't need to work out and get muscles and/or have the world's straightest teeth to feel good about myself. I dated a beautiful girl for nearly 3 years that didn't have a problem with my looks, so why should you? You fucking prick.

Don't try to one-up everything that I said or anyone else said, because frankly no one gives a shit about what you think. It was a privilege for you to have even been invited this weekend, don't let your big head forget that. And please don't tell me that if I really wanted a full-time job, I would have one by now. You don't seem to understand the severity of the unemployment rate. I'm busting my ass trying to find work. I don't find it entertaining or enjoyable sitting at home all day hoping to get that phone call from one of the 15 companies I just sent my resume to. I know eventually things will work in my favor because they always do. This time I mean it when I say "I am better than you."

No comments:

Post a Comment