6.08.2011

No If's, And's, Or But's About It. I'm Not A Racist!

I've been thinking about this for a long time now. Skin color. It's just weird to me. If I were to believe in a higher power, one that created each person in His own image and likeness, why choose so many different colors? Why not make things generic and give everybody the same color? It probably would have prevented the Civil War because slavery wouldn't exist. It would have prevented the Boston Massacre. It would stop the shit that's going on at the Gaza Strip, er, maybe that's about religion. But you almost get the point, right? What's so compelling about race? Nothing that should cause worldwide problems.

My sister is moving into a new apartment a couple of blocks over from her current apartment. Since I'm such a genuine human being, I decided that I would help her move. (Also because she got me dinner and lunch the next day) I have to admit it was a pain in the ass. Carrying boxes of shit that wasn't mine, up and down stairs with my feeble arms. Not my idea of a good time. But I would have to say the part of the day that pissed me off most was an interaction that I saw occur between a Hispanic and Black male. They were apparently friends and the black male got to where the hispanic male was in a reasonably quick time. I know this because the hispanic male said, "Damn nigga. How you get here so fast? Runnin' from the po-po?"


When did it become acceptable for someone of Hispanic race to use a derogatory name for the black race casually in conversation? Stupid hillybilly inbreds called blacks niggers from the days of slavery. It was a derogatory word meant to put down the people they "owned." I don't understand how Hispanics began using it and it becoming acceptable. Hell, I don't like it when blacks call other blacks nigger because it's a word with such powerful, negative connotations. I guess I could never really understand because I'm white, but isn't that a part of history you should try to forget? And I mean that in a vocabulary kind of way, not a historical one.

I hate that people portray America as the only country that has racist inhabitants. As far as I know, people of Spain and Portugal hate Asians. Asians hate blacks. Jews hate Muslims. Muslims hate Jews. And that doesn't even have to do with race. People around the world just hate other people. There's no stopping or controlling it. For whatever reason, some feel inclined to portray their hate. Look at the KKK, for example. Burning crosses on the front lawns of black families. Killing them because of their skin color. It's hard for me to speak for the rest of the world because everything I know is American. But this mentality can't be right.

Nintendo didn't make matters much better when they released their famous game "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!" The game is a personal favorite of mine. It reminds me of everything that was pure and good when I was a kid. But as I look back at the game now, there are many racist/stereotypical/egocentric idealogies. First of all, the top three fighters in the game, Mr. Sandman, Super Macho Man, and Mike Tyson are all from the U.S. Glass Joe is a French pussy, Von Kaiser is a Nazi, Piston Honda is a lame-o Jap, Don Flamenco is a gay Spaniard, King Hippo is an overweight Pacific Islander, Great Tiger is a Muslim magician/snake charmer, Bald Bull is a bald Turk, and Soda Popinski is a Russian with a drinking problem. Pretty much every stereotype we can have about everyone else in the world. And clearly that we are better in every way. Way to drop the ball, America.


So really what I'm trying to get across is the abolishment of racism, stereotypes and ethnic slurs. To sit back and not have to say to someone, "my black friend, my Asian friend, my Hispanic friend" and change it to "my friend." I think Americans are going after Obama and his birth certificate primarily because of his skin color, not because he's filling out brackets on SportsCenter. We all need to just cool our jets, calm the fuck down, and accept that people from all walks of life have different fucking skin color. Let's stop the hate and appreciate. I'm not a racist, but you knew already knew that because "I am better than you."

No comments:

Post a Comment