3.17.2011

March Madness Is Turning Out To Include More Than Just College Basketball

In what could be considered the second National Sports holiday of the year, first being the Super Bowl, the NCAA Tournament officially started today. In all we have 16 games that are played on both Thursday and Friday and then reduced in half hereinafter. For me, this is personally my favorite day of the year. I always get that false hope of getting a perfect bracket and winning shit tons of money. But since I have a pretty tight grasp on all things sports, my bracket always gets fucked up around 5:00 pm Thursday. But it's the excitement of the games that gets my blood boiling. However, this tournament start date also marked St. Patrick's Day, the alcoholic's holiday. How elegant.
This year March 17 turned out to be incredible in more ones than one. I got to lay in bed all day and watch every single game. I didn't get to drink in the fuckin' awesome 60 degree weather. My amigos from college aren't even in the country anymore. And I kept seeing commercials for Buffalo Wild Wings. It is easily the greatest chain restaurant in the United States with the most delicious wing sauces. It actually pained me to sit and watch these commercials come one after the other. It's almost as if I punished someone and this was my payback. But I didn't. I'm a good person.
(How fuckin' flashy is this? Literally.)

Why do people celebrate St. Patrick's Day? I wrote earlier this month about how I was being a drunkard all day celebrating this joyous holiday, but for what reason? My religious beliefs are null-and-void, my nationality is not Irish (it's worse), and I hate the color green. My friend is kind of lucky that he is colorblind because I think green is one of the colors he can't see. It comes out brown or something. Green is such a stupid color. I don't like anything green. And what's the deal with corned beef and sauerkraut? My mom was pushing that shit all day on me. I didn't become Jewish today, why would I want that stuff? I just don't get it, but like I said, it's just an excuse for Americans to get drunk. That's fine.

To also go along with the theme, the disaster in Japan is getting worse by the day. My uncle is terrified that those nuclear reactors are going to explode, if they haven't already, and has been drinking iodized salt water to counter it. If you are like me and have no idea why he was doing it, the reason is simple. Iodine is a chemical solution that helps prevent radioactive materials from entering into the thyroid gland. If it does enter, it could become cancerous. I think his strategy is a little pre-emptive because we don't even know for sure that those nuclear materials will even make it here. This is where the madness is really occurring.

I read an article today in between games that warned of the dangers of taking potassium iodine, KI, as a preventative measure as opposed to a necessary one. They sell it in pills over-the-counter in the drug stores around the country, but due to the panic, has been sold out since late last week. It makes me nervous because maybe these people know something that I don't know. Or they are overreacting for the time being. Who's to say? Not me. You have to imagine that we aren't going to hear all the truths over the media, but I'd hope they'd tell us if our lives/health was at serious risk. But that's enough about that.

March should be a month that focuses on the upcoming warm-ish weather. The start of baseball and college basketball at it's finest. I'm sure when the time comes around, I'll be writing about Opening Day 2011. But what I hate most about March is the onslaught of allergies that attack me. I wish my mom wasn't such a dweeb and had an impenetrable immune system? that would prevent my body from feeling like shit for a week or two. Sore throats are the worst, but trying to go to sleep with a clogged nose isn't very thrilling either. And then you wake up with a dry mouth because you're breathing through it like an asshole. Atrocious. So I actually kind of hate March for that reason. I'm sorry I wasn't funny today. Or any other day for that matter. I can't help that "I'm better than you."

No comments:

Post a Comment